Monday 6 December 2010

A Gaffe that bites 06th December 2010.

Sorry, it’s been manic this last week so haven’t blogged as much as I used to – it’s been seriously bad weather and we’ve been dealing with a pre-Xmas rush, trying to get books released in time for Xmas orders to be fulfilled.

It was so bad last week, weather wise, that a proof copy of one book, which should have been delivered on Monday was actually delivered on Saturday – and this was by a national carrier. Luckily it was fine so the book has been good to go, and I spent yesterday “drowning” in a flood of print orders for it.

It’s clear; I’m going to have to look out our internal processes, downloading the order from our site, uploading it (manually) to the printer, updating the royalty spreadsheet and posting it to the account system, make four manual operations in an on-line business. Don’t yet know a way around that but the thinking cap is on.

I did however have a chance to take a good look at some of my author friends on Facebook and see what they were up to and look at both their promotional practices and, of course, opportunities for our own promotion.

This is where the gaffe of the title comes in.

I found a friend of a friend and went to look to see if this friend was worth friending. God, that’s a lot of friends in one sentence but it does make sense. (Ed. Huh? Hmmm... Maybe)

This person, whose blushes will be spared, is a freelance copy editor. Interesting, I thought, so I read a bit further, and then went back and read her public bio once more.

She had repeated the same sentence three times on her bio and I really had to read it twice to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.

“When I’m copy-editing for an author, I go through there MS line by line...”

Well, it made my day. What a lovely way to advertise her skills.

I wonder if I should pass it on to my son – he loves posting to FailBook but I suspect this is one for us writers and not one for the general populace.

By the way, I didn’t add her as a friend, but I did drop her a note to respectfully suggest a change. Well she had given me a laugh after all... No, I’m not going back to check if she corrected it.

No comments:

Post a Comment