Thursday 18 November 2010

Competition winning entry

A couple of people have suggested I should post the winning competition entry.
The theme for entries was the phrase "When Darkness Came" and the maximum word count was 250.
The pieces are read out by a panel of readers and voted on by the group as a whole by secret ballot.
I wouldn't say it's perfectly edited, my stuff never is until someone else has been through it!
I wanted everyone to think a woman had written it, rather than a man. I think I succeeded - certainly there was a lot of surprise when I owned up to it.
Anyway here it is:

Intruder
I came awake suddenly, instinctively knowing the sanctity of my bedroom had been violated, I was no longer alone.
Half sitting up, clutching the thin sheet to my naked breasts I peered into the near darkness. The intruder was easy to spot, sitting in the chair in the corner, eerily lit by the yellow light reflecting from the street lamp outside
My breath caught in my throat, the reflected light giving shadows to his chiselled handsome features.
“What... I mean... Who...?”
He chuckled, the warm tones resonating round the room, plucking my heart strings. Slowly he rose to his feet.
“You may call me Cameron.”
He was nude, magnificently naked, his perfectly muscled torso drawing my gaze down to his sculpted six pack and then lower. I gasped again, heat rising to my face, as I surveyed his eloquent manliness, his words hardly registering as he took a pace forward.
“Uh...”
His perfection stunned me into near insensibility as he reached out and gently tugged at the bottom of the sheet, pulling my only covering from unresisting fingers.
I licked my lips, unable to cry out.
He stepped closer and flexed his shoulders, his huge black wings unfurling behind him, the feathered limbs almost spanning the room, brushing the ceiling.
“What... What are you?”
Once more he chuckled as he held my gaze with eyes that captured mine without a fight.
He stooped and his arms cradled me as his wings enfolded us, then darkness came.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment