Tuesday 17 August 2010

Perspective - 17th August 2010

I’ve spent the last few weeks alternately ranting and whinging about several topics.

About submissions, and people congenitally incapable of following simple guidelines. About retailers who change formatting requirements, seemingly at a whim. About the way the payments system works in publishing. Even about writers who think simply because Danielle Steele can get away with it, so can they – and those who can’t write dialogue.

In the process I almost insulted one of our authors over self-publishing and upset a couple of others, whilst hopefully entertaining and informing my readers and followers.

However, I’ve received some news that put things into a different perspective. One of our authors has been diagnosed with bowel cancer and is demonstrating two small tumours on his liver. They’ve already started the chemo, and scheduled the radiotherapy, hoping to cure it without surgery. He’s one of life’s all round good guys. I knew him from a writing group, before we became his publisher.

He writes under a pen-name, so I will have to refer to him by that, Jak, rather than his real name, but he knows who I mean.

We can only wish him well, to weather the storm that, all unasked for, is washing over him and his family, and for him to go on and beat the dreaded C.

Go for it fella!

2 comments:

  1. I come from a family riddled with bowel (and skin) cancers, David - so do give my very best wishes to Jak. My mother (if she even understood the internet thingy!) would also send good wishes - she's twice survived cancer now and we're planning her 80th birthday party next year. Cancer doctors are the tops. Big-time.

    Hugs and stuff

    Anne
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter survived severe bone cancer in 2004. I hear you. Cancer doctors rock!
    Thanks for your comment - I'll pass it on.

    ReplyDelete