Friday 6 August 2010

I Give Up - 6th August 2010

Honestly I really feel like it sometime. Prospective authors, indeed even a published author, just will not read the submissions instructions. This must be the fourth or even fifth post about this subject and it’s still happening.

We changed our instructions a couple of days ago to ask non-fiction authors to send a query first and fiction authors to send the full manuscript.

In the last twenty-four hours, I’ve had three queries in. Two from fiction writers, who are going to get a very simple response – send the s**ding manuscript and we’ll happily consider it.
One of them sent a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis of her book as an attachment. The b***dy thing was 15,500 words long! What do the submission instructions say – “A short (but not chapter by chapter) synopsis should also be included.” Am I going to read a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis when I’ve specifically said I don’t want one, and when I’m going to have to read the whole manuscript if she sends it? What do you think?

The second one sent us a query looking for a literary agent. Not a good start, but I did respond by pointing out we were a publisher and needed the whole manuscript according to our guidelines. He responded to this e-mail by sending a Microsoft Works file. Despite having been referred back to the submissions guidelines that state “Format your COMPLETE manuscript as a Microsoft Word document (version 2003 or lower), or as an RTF file.” I ask you, what is the point? As far as I’m aware, and I could actually be wrong, Works does not support Track Changes, which is the most important tool we use within the word processor when editing. So his WPS file is useless to us. I suppose I could spend time looking for a file converter or uploading a trial version of Works and reading it that way. To what effect? We actually can’t be sure he could process his edits should we actually accept his novel(s).

There is one similarity between these two people. They are both entitled to use the word “Doctor” in front of their names. Personally I always thought to earn that you needed an education.

The third query, was correct as far as queries go, it was for a non-fiction piece. So far so good. I read the letter, which was actually very well written and specific to us rather than a blanket one with a growing sense of frustration. Again the submission guidelines state “We do NOT publish self-help, social or political commentary, nor diet books.” Guess what – this was a social/political commentary on the state of “our country today.” Hmmm . . . Now like most nationalities, Americans can be nation centric in their world view, not a problem, it’s a tendency we all have, but this was a letter personally crafted for us and the web site home page clearly states we come from New Zealand and England. Last time I looked we haven’t yet become the 53rd, 54th and 55th states of the US. (New Zealand would qualify as two states, North and South Island – and I know there’s not 52 currently – is there?).

Small wonder, I sometimes feel like giving up. Oh, for the simple life of an author once more...

Jeez now I’m getting nostalgic.....

No comments:

Post a Comment