Monday 26 July 2010

The week in review - 26th July 2010

Reading back through the blog for last week, I deliberately took Sunday off, it looks like I’m the big I am man, and I do everything for the company. Apart from the fact that would not be a good impression to give to people it would most definitely not be the truth.

Previous experience means I understand most facets of the business of getting a book from manuscript through to a production eBook or paperback. (We don’t at the moment do hardback print but we can and will once there is a definite demand demonstrated).

I have had experience of most parts of the publishing business so feel I can talk about them, but that does not mean it’s just me doing it all here. It doesn’t take long to expose my weaknesses as a copy editor, about five seconds if I’m having a good day. My main problem is being, as my editor describes me, comma averse. It’s difficult to correct someone else’s comma usage if you can’t get your own right.

Cover art is more usually a way to relax than a frustration, as is the web site development. That’s not to say handling an e-commerce suite doesn’t have its own frustrations – believe me it does. Still, at least I’m doing something I want to do, and that is definitely worthwhile, something far too many people can’t claim.

If anyone has a topic they’d like me to cover here, please do leave a comment, I’ll be happy to give my point of view – as long as it’s not on where to insert that pesky comma!

No comments:

Post a Comment